Perfect for high protein meal prep, using leftovers, and the minimal home cook, these oven baked quesadillas are a must-add to your recipe box. You only need three ingredients and about 15 minutes of prep time to make a huge batch that can feed your personal army or stock the snack section of your freezer.
While the base recipe makes cheesy chicken quesadillas, I’ve included tons of options for different fillings. You can take this and run with it to make all kinds of baked quesadillas.
Ingredients for Oven Baked Quesadillas
Here’s everything you’ll need:
- Cooked and Shredded Chicken
- Shredded Mexican Cheese
- Corn and Flour Blend Tortillas
Any cooked chicken will work here, though you will want to add some kind of seasoning if you’re using plain rotisserie chicken or unflavored chicken. There are lots of ready-made options in stores these days, but in case you want to make your own, here are some of my favorite shredded chicken recipes:
- One Pot Mexican Pulled Chicken
- Traeger Smoked Chicken Thighs
- Pressure Cooker Shredded Mexican Chicken
- Pulled Instant Pot BBQ Chicken (would be great with onion, parsley, and havarti like our leftover BBQ chicken quesadillas)
- Smoked Chicken and Peppers
- Chicken Birria (or beef birria for birria quesadillas and quesotacos)
- Shredded Buffalo Chicken
If you’re unfamiliar with corn and flour blend tortillas, they’re amazing. You get the malleability of flour tortillas with the flavor of corn tortillas. If you can’t find any in stores, we have a recipe for homemade blended tortillas.
You can also use regular corn tortillas, but you will want to wrap them in a damp paper towel and microwave for 45-60 seconds first. Check out my baked tacos or baked taquitos recipes for examples of this in action.
How to Freeze and Reheat These Baked Chicken Quesadillas
If you’re going to freeze, I like cutting each quesadilla into three triangles and placing it in an airtight bag before going in the freezer. To reheat, I air fry for about 5 minutes at 350ºF or bake at a similar temperature for 10-12 minutes.
If you want to make these baked quesadillas in an air fryer instead, you’ll need to reduce the amount of quesadillas or cook in batches. You may also need to add something on top to keep the quesadillas sealed. For my air fryer quesadillas recipe, I used a wire rack to keep them sealed during cooking.
More Filling Ideas for Baked Quesadillas
- Cheesy Black Bean Quesadillas
- Chorizo Breakfast Quesadillas
- Veggie Quesadillas
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Quesadillas
- Grilled Chicken, Tomatoes, and Feta
Let me know in the comments if you have an ingredient or recipe question. And we always appreciate recipe reviews if you try something and love it.
- 24 oz Cooked Shredded Chicken*
- 8 oz Shredded Mexican Cheese
- 12 Corn and Flour Tortillas**
- Preheat an oven to 375ºF.
- Reheat the shredded chicken (if needed) and mix with 6 oz of the shredded cheese, stirring to melt the cheese.
- Add the tortillas to a large baking sheet lined with a wire rack (for even crispness - flip halfway through cooking if baking without a rack).
- Add 2.5 oz of the chicken and cheese mixture to one half of each tortilla and top with a pinch of the remaining cheese. Fold and gently press to close and seal. Spray the tops of the quesadillas with cooking spray or brush with oil.
- Bake the quesadillas for 20-25 minutes until crispy golden brown.
*I used H-E-B seasoned shredded chicken. See the post above for homemade shredded chicken recipes and other filling ideas.
**I used H-E-B Mixla corn and flour blended tortillas. If you use corn tortillas, you'll want to wrap in a paper towel and microwave for 45-60 seconds to soften before filling and folding. You may also need to place a second baking sheet on top of the quesadillas for the first 5 minutes in the oven until they've sealed.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1 Quesadilla
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 260Total Fat: 12gCarbohydrates: 15gProtein: 24g