I think we can all agree that cream cheese frosting is the number one frosting of all time. I can pretty much eat it by the spoonful, no cake required. However, I suppose that’s not the healthiest way to pass the time. So, I decided to indulge in my favorite frosting a little more by incorporating another one of my favorite flavors – chocolate.
The result is a traditional cream cheese frosting that gets a major upgrade with the addition of homemade dark chocolate fudge. The fudge adds another dimension of flavor while perfectly blending in with the existing texture of cream cheese frosting.
Chocolate Fudge Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe Walkthrough
While this recipe is relatively simple, it does include the step of making homemade chocolate fudge. However, do not let that deter you! All you have to do it melt together some butter and cream, before whisking in the chocolate. The hardest part of this is having the patience to allow the chocolate to set to the perfect fudge consistency.
Once you’ve done that, all you have to do is add the fudge to your regular cream cheese frosting recipe. The chocolate fudge, butter, cream cheese, powdered sugar, vanilla, and salt come together to create the tastiest frosting you’ll ever eat!
Keep on reading for a detailed photo tutorial on how to achieve this recipe. If you’re feeling confident, you can scroll down to the bottom and simply work off of the written instructions. However, I find that a visual walkthrough is always helpful.
Step 1: Over low heat, melt together butter and heavy whipping cream.
Using a heatproof rubber spatula, stir the mixture constantly, to avoid any clumps from forming or the mixture becoming burnt. Once the mixture is on the verge of boiling, remove from the heat.
Step 2: Add dark chocolate chips and mix until fully melted and combined into the mixture.
Be sure to stir together until all of the chocolate has melted and a smooth chocolate mixture has formed.
Step 3: Pour the mixture into a heatproof bowl and set aside to set.
This will take about 2-3 hours to set to a fudge-like consistency. You can use it before it sets this much, but it will change the consistency of your frosting. Allowing the fudge to completely set, will help create a firmer frosting.
If you’re looking for a simpler and less time consuming frosting recipe, be sure check out our espresso buttercream.
Step 4: Cream together the butter, cream cheese, and fudge.
Using the paddle attachment, cream together the ingredients until a smooth chocolate mixture is achieved.
Step 5: Add the powdered sugar, vanilla, and salt.
Switch to the whisk attachment. Start mixing on low speed until most of the sugar has incorporated. Gradually increase the speed of the mixer and continue whisking until you reach the desired texture.
This Chocolate Fudge Cream Cheese Frosting is so good it’s actually dangerous! It’s the perfect companion for a layer cake, as seen on my Triple Chocolate Cake recipe, or your next batch of cupcakes. You could even pair it with our iconic Devil’s Food Cupcakes, if you want to switch things up.
Don’t be afraid to pop this frosting in the fridge before you use it to help firm it up before using. It’s super creamy and fluffy, but can be a little delicate to deal with, especially if you’re going for a fancy decorative finish.
What will you pair this decadent frosting with? Let me know down in the comments below! And if you like this frosting recipe be sure to check out our brown butter buttercream frosting in our dark chocolate espresso cake recipe.
Chocolate Fudge Cream Cheese Frosting
Creamy, fluffy chocolate fudge cream cheese frosting.
- 1/2 C (120ml) Heavy Whipping Cream
- 3/4 C (175g) Unsalted Butter
- 1 1/4 C (200g) Dark Chocolate Chips
- 1 C (226g) Cream Cheese, softened
- 1/2 C (113g) Unsalted Butter, softened
- 2 3/4 C (400g) Powdered Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1/8 tsp Kosher Salt
- In a sauce pan on low heat, cook the heavy cream and butter, stirring constantly, until the butter has melted. Continue cooking until the mixture is just below boiling. Remove from the heat.
- Add the dark chocolate chips to the pan, whisk until the chocolate is completely melted and smooth. Pour the fudge into a bowl and leave to set at room temperature for 2-3 hours, whisking occasionally.
- Once the fudge has set to a thick and creamy consistency, add it with the softened butter and cream cheese to the bowl of a stand mixer.
- Using the paddle attachment on medium speed, cream together all of the ingredients. Be sure to scrape the bowl down halfway through to prevent any lumps from forming.
- Add the powdered sugar, vanilla, and salt.
- Using the whisk attachment on low speed, gently whisk until the sugar is mostly incorporated. Increase to high speed and whisk until stiff peaks begin to form in the frosting.
- Frost dessert of choice and enjoy!
This recipe will cover a double layer cake or 18 cupcakes.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 18 Serving Size: 1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 310Total Fat: 23gCarbohydrates: 26gProtein: 2g
Tuesday 15th of February 2022
This is awesome! I just made a banana cake and thought i would add chocolate chips to the batter. But in my haste, I forgot to add it. So, next idea was to see if there was a chocolate fudge cream cheese frosting recipe and low and behold, I came here! Nothing goes better with bananas than chocolate so I tried this recipe and it is a winner!!!!! Thanks for creating my dream frosting.
Thursday 3rd of March 2022
We're so glad to hear this! Sounds like you've created a winning combination with banana cake and our Chocolate Fudge Cream Cheese Frosting recipe. We'll just have to try it out at the Woodruff house!