Every Christmas season my husband and I treat ourselves to a bag or two of our favorite Lindor Truffle holiday flavor, Peppermint Cookie. It’s one of my favorite and indulgent holiday traditions. This year, I decided to level it up by stuffing a chocolate cupcake with my favorite holiday chocolate truffle.
While I was nervous to see if it actually work, I had a gut feeling I was on to something. I am happy to report that they turned out even better than expected! The result is a mini molten lava cake in the form of a cupcake. Inserting the truffle into the center of the cupcake turns the truffle into melted chocolate perfection.
Holiday Lindor Truffle Stuffed Cupcakes Recipe Walkthrough
The cupcake portion of this recipe is one of the easiest ones you’ll find out there! All you have to do is create a cocoa paste, throw all of the ingredients together, and mix until combined. The result is a silky smooth, and slightly fluffy batter.
The trickiest part of this recipe is removing the center of each cupcake and inserting a Lindor truffle in its place. It may seem nerve wracking, but after the first few you’ll find that it’s actually pretty easy. But have no fear! I have included step by step process shots of each stage of this recipe so you’ll have visual instructions to get you through.
If you’re feeling extra bold, feel free to scroll to the bottom of this post for just the written instructions.
Step 1: Mix cocoa powder and hot water together.
The result will be a thick, paste consistency.
Step 2: Add the milk and mix until smooth.
Adding the milk to the paste will create a smooth mixture that will mix into the rest of the batter more easily.
Step 3: Add the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, chocolate mix, eggs, and softened butter to the bowl of a stand mixer.
Using the paddle attachment, mix on low speed until the batter is smooth and no lumps remain. Be sure not to over mix the batter.
Step 4: Pour the batter into the cupcake pan and bake at 350ºF for 20-22 minutes.
The cupcakes are done when a toothpick inserted comes out clean, or the center of the cupcakes reach 210ºF.
Step 5: After the cupcake as cooled for 5 minutes, remove the core of the cupcake and insert a Lindor Truffle.
I used a large piping tip to remove the core of the cupcakes, but I’ve read that an apple corer also works. If you have neither, using a sharp knife to gently remove the center will also get the job done.
Be sure to do this while the cupcake is still warm, but not piping hot. This ensures that the truffle inserted will be able to melt a little and bind to the cupcake.
If you’re looking for a simpler way to incorporate chocolate into your cupcakes, check out my chocolate chip cupcakes!
Step 6: Place the core of the cupcake back on top of the truffle and press down.
Allow the cupcakes to fully cool and decorate with your frosting of choice. I used Sally’s Baking Addiction’s Chocolate Buttercream recipe.
And there you have it! No one who eats these cupcakes will believe how simple they are to make. They’re like mini molten lava cakes, but way less work to create. Fluffy chocolate cake filled with melted, mint chocolate make for a match made in heaven.
What flavor of Lindor truffles would you put in your cupcakes? Let me know what you think down in the comments below!
P.S. If you like this cupcake recipe, then be sure to check it out in cake form in my Triple Chocolate Cake recipe.
- 1/2 C (50g) Cocoa Powder
- 6 Tbsp Hot Water
- 1/4 C + 2 Tbsp (75ml) Milk
- 1 1/2 C (180g) All-Purpose Flour
- 1 1/4 C (275g) Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Baking Powder
- 3/4 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1/2 C (113g) Unsalted Butter, softened
- 3 Eggs
- 18 Peppermint Cookie Lindor Truffles
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- In a small bowl, add the cocoa powder and hot water. Mix together until a thick paste begins to form.
- Add the milk to the chocolate paste and mix until the paste becomes a smooth chocolate mixture.
- In a stand mixer, using the paddle attachment on low speed, mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, softened butter, eggs, and chocolate mixture. Mix until just combined, careful not to over mix the batter.
- Pour the batter into the cupcake pan. Bake for 22-24 minutes, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- After the cupcakes have cooled for 5 minutes, remove the center of the cupcakes. Gently insert a Lindor Truffle into the center of each cupcake.
- Place the center of the cupcake back over the top of the truffle and press down to completely cover. Once the cupcakes have cooled, decorate with your frosting of choice.
To remove the center of the cupcakes, you can use a large piping tip, an apple corer, or gently use a sharp knife to cut out the center. Be sure to stop halfway and avoid cutting through to the bottom of the cupcake. This will result in the cupcake falling apart.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 18 Serving Size: 1 cupcake
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 235Total Fat: 12gCarbohydrates: 29gProtein: 3g