Have you ever had chocolate chip cookie buttercream? It’s the perfectly indulgent addition to your next bake. Think sweet, smooth vanilla buttercream with chopped chocolate chip cookies folded in. It’s buttercream with a major wow factor!
While a buttercream recipe is pretty straightforward and easy, this recipe does require that you have cookies ready to go. So, there is the extra step of needing to bake cookies before getting started on the buttercream portion of the recipe.
You certainly can use store bought cookies, like we did in our cookies and cream cupcakes, if you want to lighten the workload.
What’s in Chocolate Chip Cookie Buttercream?
Traditional vanilla buttercream can be overly sweet and, frankly, a little boring. We decided to elevate your run of the mill vanilla buttercream by adding chopped chocolate chip cookies. The result? A sweet buttercream complimented by the buttery elements of a chocolate chip cookie. Simply put, it is perfection!
We used our classic vanilla bean buttercream frosting for the base and added our brown butter chocolate chip cookies as the mix in. The brown butter, dark chocolate chunks, and walnuts really helps to tone down the sweetness of the buttercream and create a more complex flavor profile.
You might also consider our traeger smoked chocolate chip cookies as an alternative. It’s another flavor packed cookie that would certainly compliment this recipe, as well. Or go ahead and choose your favorite cookie recipe instead!
The ingredients for this recipe are really quite simple. All you need is butter, powdered sugar, vanilla bean paste, kosher salt, and cookies. We advise that you make the cookies in advance, in order to allow them to dry out and crisp up a little.
We love this chocolate chip cookie buttercream on our chocolate chip cupcakes. Let us know what recipe you pair this buttercream with down in the comments below!
- 2 sticks (226g) Unsalted Butter, softened
- 4 C (480g) Powdered Sugar
- 1 Tbsp (15g) Vanilla Bean Paste*
- 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt*
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) Heavy Cream
- 4 oz (120g) Chocolate Chip Cookies, roughly chopped*
- In a stand mixer, using the paddle attachment, beat the softened butter for 1-3 minutes on high speed, or until the butter is creamy and slightly pale.
- Add the vanilla bean paste, kosher salt and half of the powdered sugar. Mix until mostly combined
- Add the remaining powdered sugar and mix until fully combined and smooth.
- Add the heavy cream and mix until the buttercream is smooth.
- Adjustments: If the buttercream is too sweet you can add a pinch of kosher salt to reduce the sweetness. If the buttercream is too thin, you can add more powdered sugar, 1/4 cup at a time. If the buttercream is too thick, you can add heavy cream, one tablespoon at a time.
- Fold in the chopped cookies.
- Frost your cupcakes or cake of choice and enjoy!
- If you are using table salt, use half the amount of kosher salt listed.
- If you don't have vanilla bean paste, you can use regular vanilla extract.
- We used our Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies for this recipe, and advise you to do the same! It's an excellent pairing.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1/4 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 537Total Fat: 28gCarbohydrates: 71gProtein: 1g