The next time you’re firing up the Traeger you just might want to include this Traeger Brownies recipe to your cooking line up. It’s the perfect combination of a rich, dark chocolate brownie that isn’t too sweet, and is filled with smoked brown sugar walnuts. It’s guaranteed to be a delicious follow up to your smoked dinner.
Traeger Brownies Recipe Walkthrough
This Traeger brownie recipe has two components to complete. The first thing you have to do is make the brown sugar smoked walnuts before folding them into the brownie batter and cooking in the Traeger.
While it may have a longer cook time than most brownies, I think we can all agree that the flavor payoff is well worth it! The inspiration for this recipe came from our KIND Bar Brownies recipe. I just knew it would be the perfect candidate for Traeger Brownies with a few changes.
Below you will find a step by step recipe walkthrough with photos, instructions, and helpful notes to help you ensure that you get the perfect recipe results. However, if you are feeling extra confident in your skills, feel free to scroll down to the recipe card at the bottom of the post and get cooking!
Making the Smoked Walnuts
To make the brown sugar smoked walnuts, you will need to toss walnut pieces in a melted butter and brown sugar mixture. Once the walnuts are completely covered, place them on a sheet pan and cook in the Traeger for an hour to develop some color and flavor.
We first introduced these brown sugar smoked walnuts in our Traeger Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe. They make the perfect addition to our new Traeger Brownies recipe.
Step 1: Mix sugar and butter together.
Melt unsalted butter before mixing with light brown sugar until fully combined.
Step 2: Toss walnut pieces in the butter and sugar mixture.
Toss the walnut pieces in the butter and sugar mixture, ensure that they’re all evenly coated.
Step 3: Smoke the coated walnuts.
Place the coated walnuts on a parchment lined sheet pan. Smoke in the Traeger at 275ºF for one hour. Set aside to completely cool before folding into the brownie batter.
Making the Brownies
The brownie recipe for these Traeger brownies is one of my favorite’s to use from GBBO Liam’s collection. It’s a rich, dark chocolate brownie that is perfectly fudgy, fluffy, and not too sweet. The addition of brown sugar smoked walnuts turns these already delicious brownies into a proper show stopper!
All you need are some baking staples, a large mixing bowl, a whisk, a baking dish, and a healthy appetite. While this recipe does call for a few different than usual ingredients, like olive oil or coffee powder, it is still really easy to make.
Step 1: Mix oil, vanilla, and sugars together.
In a large mixing bowl, mix the olive oil, vanilla, sugar, and light brown sugar together. The texture will be a little greasy at this point, but the batter will continue to come together as the other ingredients are added.
Step 2: Add eggs.
Add the lightly beaten eggs to the sugar mixture and mix until combined. The batter should be smooth at this point.
Step 3: Add the dry ingredients.
Add the cocoa powder, all-purpose flour, kosher salt, and instant coffee powder. Mix until smooth.
You can just mix like normal, unlike in my Ultimate Brownie recipe where you need to gently fold the ingredients in.
Step 4: Add the smoked walnut pieces.
Gently fold the brown sugar smoked walnut pieces into the batter until evenly dispersed.
Step 5: Cook.
Pour the brownie batter into a 9×13 baking dish. Place in the Traeger and cook at 375ºF for 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Serve with a scoop of ice cream and enjoy! We like to melt some cookie butter and drizzle it on top for some added tastiness. If you have any extra smoked walnuts left over, they are great as a topper too!
Like this recipe? Let is know down in the comments below. We have other Traeger dessert recipes you might like too. Check out our Traeger blueberry crumble, Traeger Apple Crisp, Blackberry Biscuit Cobbler, or our Traeger Desserts Bake-Off.
Traeger Smoked Brownies
Rich, dark chocolate Traeger brownies filled with brown sugar smoked walnuts.
For the Smoked Walnuts
- 1 3/4 cup (210g) Chopped Walnuts
- 2 Tbsp (28g) Unsalted Butter, melted
- 2 Tbsp (24g) Light Brown Sugar
For the Brownies
- 1/2 C (120ml) Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 3/4 C (144g) Sugar
- 1/2 C (96g) Light Brown Sugar
- 3 Eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 C (40g) Cocoa Powder, I prefer Dutch-processed
- 1 tsp Instant Coffee Powder
- 1 tsp Kosher Salt
- 2/3 C (79g) All-Purpose Flour
Making the Smoked Walnuts
- Preheat smoker to 275ºF.
- In a large bowl, melt the butter before stirring in the brown sugar. Add the walnuts to the butter mixture and stir to evenly coat.
- Add the coated walnuts to a parchment covered sheet pan or disposable foil pan with a wire rack. Grates will help the walnuts pick up more smoke.
- Smoke for 1 hour. Let the walnuts cool completely before incorporating into the brownie batter.
Making the Brownies
- Increase the Traeger temperature to 375ºF.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the olive oil, vanilla, sugar and light brown sugar.
- Add the lightly beaten eggs and whisk in until completely combined.
- Add the cocoa powder, instant coffee powder, salt, and flour. Mix until combined.
- Gently fold in the smoked walnuts until evenly dispersed throughout the batter.
- Pour the batter into a 9 x 13 baking dish. Place in the Traeger and cook for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 434Total Fat: 28gCarbohydrates: 39gProtein: 8g