If you’re on the hunt for the ultimate pecan pie this holiday season, look no further. I’ve got you covered! After making five internet famous pecan pies, which you can read about here, I think I’ve learned a thing or two about making a pecan pie.
I also tested a Traeger pecan pie, which you can read about here, that helped me learn even more about pecan pie flavors and baking techniques.
And, after making so many pecan pies, I have decided to create the ultimate pecan pie. As always, any recipe is a personal preference, so what makes this the ultimate pecan pie for me may not ring as true for you. But, I bet you’ll enjoy it because this sucker is pretty dang tasty.
Ultimate Pecan Pie Recipe Walkthrough
What makes this pecan pie, the ultimate pecan pie, is the inclusion of toasted chopped pecans, orange zest, and cinnamon. Each of these ingredients help elevate your run-of-the-mill pecan pie into the best version of this iconic holiday treat.
Have no fear, this recipe is really simple to make. I even saved you the trouble of making your own crust and opted for a pre-made pie dough that you can pick up at the grocery store. I’ll even give you some tips to ensure your crust turns out perfect.
Other than toasting the pecans in the oven and zesting the orange, all you have to do is mix your ingredients together and bake! Keep reading below for step by step instructions that include process shots and recipe notes that you might find helpful. However, if you’re feeling brave, feel free to scroll to the bottom for the recipe card and get baking!
Step 1: Unroll the pie shell and freeze.
Unroll your room temperature pre-made pie dough into the pie plate. Make sure that the dough has been out of the fridge for at least 15 minutes to ensure that the dough is pliable enough to unroll without breaking and tearing.
Once the pie dough has been fitted and shaped into a 9 inch pie plate, stick it in the freezer for at least 15 minutes. This will help the dough keep its shape throughout baking and prevent it from falling into the pie.
Step 2: Toast the pecans.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and add the chopped pecans in an even layer. Bake in the oven at 350ºF for 8 minutes, until the pecans are fragrant and slightly darker. Be careful not to bake too long, as the pecans can burn and taste bitter very quickly.
Remove the pecans from the oven and set aside to completely cool.
Step 3: Mix sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, and orange zest together.
Add sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, and orange zest into a a large mixing bowl. Mix everything together until fully combined. This will also help release the oils from the orange zest and extract the most flavor from the zest to ensure that you really get the orange flavor into your pie.
Step 4: Add corn syrup, butter, eggs, and vanilla.
Add the corn syrup, melted butter, beaten eggs, and vanilla into the sugar mixture. Whisk until you achieve a smooth syrup mixture.
Step 5: Line the bottom of the pie shell with toasted pecans.
Remove the pie crust from the freezer and pour the toasted pecans into the pie shell.
Step 6: Pour syrup mixture over the pecans.
Pour the syrup mixture over the pecans. Make sure that the pecans are completely submerged and mixed into the syrup mixture.
Step 7: Cover the pie with foil and bake.
Cover the entire pecan pie with aluminum foil and bake for one hour at 350ºF. This will prevent the crust from catching and burning with such a long bake. After an hour, remove the foil and continue baking the pie for another 15-20 minutes. The center should only be slightly jiggly when coming out of the oven.
And that’s it! You’ve just made the ultimate pecan pie. A rich, flavorful pie with lots of texture that is sure to be the star of the dessert table at your next holiday party.
If you’re on the lookout for more holiday dessert inspiration check out some of our other recipes like our Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies, Chocolate Pumpkin Bundt Cake, Chocolate Meringue Pie, or our favorite Walnut and Dark Chocolate Cookie Pie.
Enjoy this recipe? Let us know your thoughts on our ultimate pecan pie recipe down in the comments below! Or you can let us know what else you’d like to see next on the blog.
Ultimate Pecan Pie
The ultimate pecan pie recipe with toasted pecans, orange zest, and cinnamon.
- 1 C (192g) Sugar
- 3 Tbsp (36g) Light Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Kosher Salt (1/2 tsp table salt)
- Zest of one Orange
- 1 C (240g) Light Corn Syrup
- 1/3 C Unsalted Butter, melted
- 3 Eggs, beaten and room temperature
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1 C (120g) Chopped Pecans
- 1 unbaked Pie Shell, room temperature
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Fit and shape pie shell into a 9 inch pie pan and freeze for 15 minutes.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread chopped pecans evenly across the baking sheet and bake for 8 minutes, until fragrant and slightly darker. Be careful not to burn the pecans. Set aside to completely cool.
- Mix sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, and orange zest together in a large bowl.
- Add the corn syrup, butter, eggs, and vanilla. Whisk until completely combined and smooth.
- Add the toasted pecans to the bottom of the pie shell before pouring the syrup mixture over the pecans.
- Cover the pie with aluminum foil and bake for 60 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 15-20 minutes, until the filling is only slightly jiggly in the middle.
- Remove the pie from the oven and allow to completely cool and set for at least 4 hours, or overnight.