If you’re wondering what to make with ground bison, you can’t go wrong with bison burgers. This recipe turns one pound of ground bison into four double cheeseburgers with thin and crispy smash burger patties.
These burgers are super easy to make, with virtually zero prep work other than portioning out the bison and adding a pinch of salt and pepper. You’ll have smash burgers on the table quicker than you can say In-N-Out.
Okay, I hope you have fun making smash burgers with ground bison!
- 1 pound Ground Bison
- Kosher Salt and Black Pepper
- Small Square of Parchment Paper
- 8 slices Yellow American Cheese
- 4 Burger Buns
- Avocado Oil Spray or Cooking Spray
- Lettuce, Tomato Slices, and Pickles (optional toppings)
Simple Burger Sauce
- 3 Tablespoons Mayo
- 2 Tablespoons Ketchup
- 1 Tablespoon Relish
- Pat the ground bison dry with a paper towel and portion into 8 2-ounce balls on a sheet pan and generously season the tops with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Heat a griddle or large skillet over medium-high heat. Spray the buns with avocado oil and toast on the griddle until golden brown. Set aside. (For even better browning, you can spread a light layer of mayo on the buns.)
- On the same griddle, add the balls of bison one at a time. Place the parchment square on top and use a large spatula to smash into thin patties. The patties will shrink as they cook, so don't be afraid to really smash them.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes until the burger patties develop a crust and are nearly cooked through. Flip each patty and top with a slice of cheese. Cook for another 1-2 minutes until the burgers are cooked through and the cheese has melted. Place one patty on top of another to make double burgers.
- Spread a bit of burger sauce on the bottom bun, followed by the burger patties. Add your desired toppings and serve with fries or chips.
I used Great Range ground bison, which I typically buy from Whole Foods or Costco. If you're shopping at Costco, Grillo's pickles are an excellent pairing with these burgers.
My preferred bun is a St. Pierre brioche burger bun.
Try to use a quality American cheese freshly sliced from the deli. You can also use other cheeses like cheddar or pepper jack. If you're conserving calories, you can use just one slice on the bottom patty like my chicken smash burgers.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 bison burger
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 500Total Fat: 24gCarbohydrates: 25gProtein: 34g