Set your questions about how to roll a burrito aside, this bison burrito bake has all the components of bison burritos in a casserole-style skillet meal. The flour tortillas are chopped and folded into a mixture of ground bison, black beans, red onion, green chiles, and fire roasted tomatoes. Everything is topped with cheese and baked to perfection.
Every bite is like a cheesy smothered bison burrito, but even tastier knowing you saved a bunch of time by skipping the rolling and smothering steps.
More Ground Bison Recipes
Time to get cooking. I’ve included a recipe card below for you to print or save. Leave any questions you might have in the comments at the bottom of the post.
And be sure to let me know how your burrito casserole turned out in a recipe review!
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil, divided
- 1 pound Ground Bison
- 1 large Red Onion, cut into strips or diced
- 2 Tablespoons Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 15 oz can Black Beans
- 4 oz can Diced Green Chiles
- 28 oz can Fire Roasted Crushed Tomatoes
- 3 Burrito-Size Flour Tortillas, cut into bite-size pieces
- 4 oz Shredded Colby Jack or Cheddar
- Preheat oven to 375ºF and heat a large skillet over medium-high heat with 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Add the bison and brown one side for 3-4 minutes before breaking apart and pushing to one side of the skillet. Add the remaining olive oil to the other side, followed by the onion. Once the bison is fully cooked, mix the two together and stir in the spices.
- Add the beans, green chiles, and tomatoes. Bring to low boil before turning off the heat.
- Fold in the chopped tortillas and top with shredded cheese. Optional: Add sliced pickled jalapeño peppers and chile flakes.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until the cheese is melted and the corners of the tortillas are beginning to brown.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve with fat free Greek yogurt or sour cream, pico de gallo or salsa macha, cotija cheese, or your favorite fixin's.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1/8th
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 350Total Fat: 14gCarbohydrates: 37gProtein: 21g