Looking for a way to spruce up the classic healthy duo of chicken and broccoli? You’re in the right place. This chili garlic ground chicken and broccoli combo is super easy to make and jam packed with big flavors.
Every serving has 29 grams of protein, 12 grams of carbs, 10 grams of fat, and 220 calories. That leaves plenty of room for serving with rice, cauliflower rice, or our favorite—a blend of the two.
Chili Garlic Ground Chicken and Broccoli Ingredients
You won’t need many ingredients beyond the broccoli and ground chicken, and everything is pretty customizable. Let’s take a look.
Be sure and chop the broccoli florets into smaller bite size pieces for easy eating. If you wanted to use frozen, you could microwave it and incorporate at the end. You’ll miss out on some of the charring from pan roasting with olive oil, but that’s not the end of the world.
Speaking of pan roasting, you’re looking for some charring in spots and a vibrant, bright green color on the broccoli. It won’t take long.
If you’re interested in incorporating other vegetables, check out my firecracker ground beef stir fry with green beans, bell pepper, and onion. It would also work great with ground chicken.
The recipe calls for 97% lean ground chicken, but any percentage will work. You can also use ground turkey or even ground beef.
In simple recipes with minimal ingredients like this one, it’s important to maximize on flavor everywhere you can. And browning the ground chicken is one way to add lots of flavor.
For optimal browning, pat the ground chicken dry with a paper towel before adding to the pan. Gently press it into the pan to create as much contact with the pan as possible. And once the chicken is in the pan, leave it untouched for a few minutes.
Sweet Chili Garlic and Sesame Sauce
The sauce is a simple combination of chili garlic sauce, sweet chili sauce, low sodium soy sauce, toasted sesame seeds, ground ginger, and water. If you’re missing an ingredient, there are lots of substitutes. Think: sriracha, hoisin, gochujang, brown sugar, oyster sauce.
This sauce combo is very similar to the one used in our Thai curry ground chicken and rice recipe, but you can also take your ground chicken and broccoli in a totally different flavor direction. I’ve included a handful of recipes below that would work well.
More Sauce Ideas
- honey balsamic ground chicken and brussels sprouts
- firecracker ground chicken
- honey sriracha ground chicken and broccoli
- chili coconut ground chicken
- sticky sweet ground beef and broccoli
- low carb Mongolian ground beef
The sauce will thicken quickly once it’s in the pan, and the sugar in the sweet chili sauce will begin to caramelize around the edges. Once you see that, turn off the heat and add the broccoli back to the pan. You’re ready to serve!
Chili Garlic Broccoli and Ground Chicken Serving Ideas
I went with a combination of toasted sesame seeds and black sesame seeds, chili crisp, and rice. If you’ve seen our pork tenderloin fried cauliflower rice recipe, you know S&B chili oil crisp is my go-to.
Speaking of cauliflower fried rice, that would be a great option. If you don’t want to dirty another pan, I always like to recommend air fryer cauliflower fried rice. It would be perfect to have cooking in the background while you make this recipe.
And like I mentioned in the intro, a mixture of half rice and half cauliflower rice is a great way to reduce carbs while masking the cauliflower-ness of riced cauliflower.
Another fun idea might be cooking a high protein rice like Right Rice in the pan with the chicken then stirring in the broccoli at the end. Check out my Thai curry ground chicken and rice recipe for an example of this.
Enough about serving. It’s time to get cooking.
I can’t wait to hear what you think about this ground chicken and broccoli combo. Be sure to come back and let us know in a recipe review or comment. You can leave any questions you might have about this recipe in the comments as well.
- 1 pound Ground Chicken (97/3)
- 12 oz Broccoli Florets, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 Tablespoon (16g) Olive Oil
- Pinch of Salt and Pepper
For the Sauce
- 1/4 cup (60g) Chili Garlic Sauce
- 1/4 cup (60g) Sweet Chili Sauce
- 1/4 cup (60g) Water
- 1 Tablespoon (15g) Low Sodium Soy Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Toasted Sesame Seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Ginger
- Mix the sauce ingredients together in a bowl and set aside.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat with the olive oil. Add the broccoli and a pinch of salt and pepper. Sauté until bright green and slightly charred in spots, about 4-5 minutes.
- Transfer the broccoli to a bowl and add the ground chicken to the skillet. Brown one side for 2-3 minutes before flipping and breaking apart to fully cook.
- Once cooked, add the sauce and cook until thick, about 1-2 minutes. Turn off the heat and stir in the broccoli. Garnish with additional sesame seeds, chili oil or chili crisp, and serve over rice.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Servings Serving Size: about 7 oz (no rice)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 220Total Fat: 10gCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 3gProtein: 29g