This cast iron apple crisp was inspired by one of my internet famous recipe bake offs for Traeger desserts. After trying the apple pie from the bake off, Mason and I both thought it would be even better to use my graham cracker crumble on top of an apple pie filling.
Mason loves this combo so much he keeps requesting different spins on the recipe. We started off with a smoked apple crisp, moved to mini apple crisp pies, and finally made our way to this oven baked version.
I hope you enjoy this skillet apple crisp. And if you do, let us know about it in a comment or recipe review!
Skillet Apple Crisp
A brown sugar apple pie filling topped with a buttery, crispy cinnamon graham cracker crumble.
For the Filling
- 8 (3 pounds) Large Granny Smith Apples, sliced
- 2 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 1 cup (192g) Light Brown Sugar
- 3 Tablespoons (24g) Cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons Apple Pie Spice
For the Cinnamon Graham Cracker Crumble
- 2 sleeves (18 crackers) Cinnamon Graham Crackers, crushed
- 1/2 cup (96g) Light Brown Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 cup (226g) Unsalted Butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
Making the Filling
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Slice the apples into 1/4 inch slices.
- In a large bowl, toss the apple slices in the lemon juice and vanilla.
- In another bowl, mix together the light brown sugar, cornstarch, and apple pie spice.
- Toss the lemon coated apples in the sugar mixture until evenly coated.
- Pour the seasoned apples into the skillet.
Making the Crumble
- Finely crush the cinnamon graham crackers, avoiding any large pieces.
- In a medium bowl, mix the crushed graham crackers, light brown sugar, and kosher salt together.
- Add the melted butter and vanilla to the graham cracker mixture. Stir until completely combined.
- Pour the cinnamon graham cracker crumble on top of the apple slices in the skillet.
- Firmly press the crumble into the apples to ensure an even layer on top and prevent any of the crumble from spilling out of the skillet.
- Place the skillet in the oven and bake for 45-50 minutes until the crumble is crispy golden brown. Top with freshly grated lemon zest while warm and serve with vanilla ice cream.
If you don't have cinnamon graham crackers, you can use plain graham crackers and add cinnamon to your taste preference.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1/16 apple crisp
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 300Total Fat: 13gCarbohydrates: 47gProtein: 1g