This unique spin on chicken fried cauliflower rice combines BBQ seasoned chicken breast pieces with a frozen cauliflower rice medley and a Japanese barbecue sauce. Every serving is packed with 32 grams of protein, 13 grams of carbs, 3 grams of fiber, and 305 calories. It works perfectly as a filling weeknight meal or a Sunday meal prep recipe.
Ingredients for BBQ Chicken Fried Cauliflower Rice
This is a super easy recipe with a short ingredient list. Here’s everything you’ll need:
- diced chicken breast with a BBQ dry rub
- frozen cauliflower rice medley
- BBQ sauce
- olive oil
You can swap chicken breast for boneless skinless chicken thighs. Using kitchen shears to dice the chicken saves a little dishwashing, but a knife and cutting board obviously works fine.
Any frozen cauliflower rice works here. I like the medley with added veggies, but you could add other veggies if you’d like. Trader Joe’s cauliflower stir fry from my air fried cauliflower rice would work great here as well.
And if you’d like to hide the cauliflower, try using a blend of real white rice and cauliflower rice like in my ground beef fried rice recipe.
This is the same homemade BBQ rub I used for my BBQ chicken fried rice, and it’s essentially the same rub my BBQ pulled chicken thighs with less brown sugar. You can substitute 2-3 tablespoons of your favorite rub.
Prep tip: If you have the time to spare, I highly recommend seasoning the chicken and letting it rest for 10-20 minutes as opposed to seasoning and going straight in the pan.
For the BBQ sauce, I used Bachan’s Japanese BBQ sauce, which I buy from World Market or Amazon. This ingredient first appeared in our BBQ pork fried cauliflower rice, and I’ve been using it for all kinds of goodies like our Traeger smoked jerky and more.
If you don’t have any on hand, it has a clean label that looks easy enough to mimic. I recommend a classic BBQ sauce mixed with soy sauce, toasted sesame oil, and mirin. Keep in mind, the recipe only calls for two tablespoons so don’t go crazy with the sauces.
And you can always experiment with different sauce combinations. Our brisket fried rice uses a verde hot sauce to make a Tex-Mex spin on fried rice, for example.
I’d love to hear about what sauce you use or how you put your own unique spin on this chicken fried cauliflower rice. Let me know in the comments or in a recipe review. Those are always appreciated!
- 1 pound Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast, diced
- BBQ Rub, to taste*
- 3 Tablespoons (48g) Olive Oil, divided
- 10 oz bag Frozen Cauliflower Rice Medley
- 2 large Eggs
- 2 Tablespoons (38g) Japanese BBQ Sauce**
- Season the diced chicken breast with the BBQ rub and set aside.
- Heat a large skillet or wok over high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil, followed by the BBQ seasoned chicken. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring every 30-45 seconds until the chicken is cooked through (165ºF internal temperature). Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil to the skillet and add the bag of cauliflower rice. Toss or stir the rice to coat in the oil and cover for 5 minutes.
- Once the cauliflower rice is completely thawed and turning a crispy golden brown on the bottom, stir and push to the sides to create a center well.
- Add the eggs to the center of the pan and scramble. Once cooked, stir the rice into the cauliflower rice.
- Add the BBQ sauce and cook for 30-60 seconds before turning off the heat and adding the chicken back to the skillet.
- Garnish with scallions or chives, toasted sesame seeds, chili oil or crisp, and additional Japanese BBQ sauce, if desired.
*About 2 tablespoons of any BBQ rub should work. I used a homemade rub made with 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar, 1 tablespoon smoked paprika, 1 teaspoon Granulated Garlic, 1 teaspoon Cumin, 1 teaspoon dry mustard, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper.
**I used Bachan's Japanese BBQ sauce. A mixture of classic BBQ sauce, soy sauce, toasted sesame oil, rice vinegar, and mirin would work as a substitute.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1/4th the recipe
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 305Total Fat: 14gCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 3gProtein: 32g